How to Develop Educational Course on Udemy
How much do you earn per month teaching those 50 students in a class? 500$-600$? I don’t think you get more than that. Your way of earning has made your earnings limited to a room. Why not set a new limit? Why not try something new? Let’s be digital and develop educational course on Udemy.
Finding a good teacher ten years back was a very difficult task. But today, when technology has expanded its foot, finding a teacher, is no big deal.
Udemy is the world’s largest online learning marketplace. It is a site meant to help people like you and me. It’s a platform for anyone who is willing to earn money online through develop educational course online. It has brought teacher and students across the world together. Students are paying hundreds of dollars in order to get a course of their choice, on the other hand, teachers like you are getting paid for providing the desired course to the students. The courses can be a professional course, curriculum course or any course that a person is interested in. Udemy provides teachers a number of tools to develop educational course and apply monetization on it.
Udemy has a network of more than 20 million students across 150+ countries and in 50+ languages. You can create a course on any topic, you have gained knowledge on. The top categories to choose from are IT and Software, Business, Development, Design, Photography, Personal development, health $ fitness, etc. To know more about the courses, you can refer to the official website of Udemy.
Once you started gaining response on your uploaded course you can even quit your full-day job (if any). You don’t have to pay. The exciting part is that the minimum value of selling a course on Udemy is $10.
Here is how to develop educational course on Udemy in 3 simple steps:
A brief explanation of all these will help you know more.
They say ‘Failing to plan is planning to fail’. I think its rightly said because without planning to start up with something is indeed a stupid idea. To take your first step you need to decide your topic, you need to see what you are good at. You can also check the trending courses on Udemy and chose a topic out of it. Then you can develop educational course or any other course for the students. This course is in the form of video tutorials. You can distribute the course in small steps.
Plan it in a way that gives a better understanding of the students. Search about the requirement of students, the topics that he is looking for in the course. There might definitely be a couple of the same courses which you are offering, so you need to make a course which is different from others. It should have a catchy title to attract a number of students. Don’t forget to add the main keyword of the course to the course title. It should have a level as per the demand of the student, it can be an advanced course or a beginner course.
Switch on the lights. Adjust the focus of the camera and shoot.
All you need is a camera of a minimum of 12 megapixels or above, you don’t need to buy an expensive DSLR, your phone’s camera can help too. Your video should be of 720p HD. A microphone is all you need to record your voice. You can make a screen recorded videos, you can use your normal earplugs for recording your voice while instructing during the recording of the screen. There are many editing software, Camtasia is one of them if asked I’ll recommend you to use it.
If you are a professional teacher you can record through a projector while teaching. Take it as a tip or advice, do give as many examples as you can give for a better explanation. Don’t make a very long video of a single topic try to explain in less time, approximately 5 to 10 minutes of a single topic. Keep a 30-second intro of what you are going to teach in your next video. If you are a bit shy, you can rehearse twice or thrice before recording. You can prepare a video of one or two minutes to check the voice and video quality. Add assignments, quizzes, etc to keep it interactive not boring.
Third and the most important step for starting your career on Udemy is sharing or uploading the video. As you know a teacher was once a student. So as a student point of view, you also know that we all understand a simple and easy thing. To create an attractive and easy to understand landing page. A landing page is the which opens as soon as a person clicks on the link of the course. You can either create a landing page on your own of course if you know how to or else you can look for someone do it on Fiverr or Freelancer at affordable rates.
- It should have a readable image.
- Give a brief description or a summary of the course that you are offering. Mention the most important topics. You can also mention all the topics in serial order.
- You can, in fact, make a quick demo video of 2-3 minutes, giving the name of the topics you will be teaching in that course.
- Do give the reason why your course is different from that of others.
- Use a readable and easy writing format.
- Maintain a good profile. Mentioning all your qualifications and past experiences. You can also add the skills you have. It will give a reason for the students to think about purchasing your course.
- Give a feedback option for your students to rate you on a scale of five.
How to decide the Price of your course?
A major question that will come in your mind after you have successfully created your course is deciding its price. As I have told earlier that the minimum value of selling a course on Udemy is $10. Don’t go below that limit. You can search for some similar courses and decide a price on the basis of them. Don’t charge a much greater price as charged by the old instructors. Charge a dollar or two less than that of what others are offering.
How does the revenue model of Udemy works?
Though Udemy is a zero-investment site. You don’t have to spend a single penny to upload a course. But it does works on a revenue sharing program. Udemy takes a share starting from 0% to 25%, depending upon the kind of revenue program it is.
There is a total of 8 parts of this Udemy revenue model program:
- Organic Course sales- In this user directly purchases your course from Udemy marketplace. Udemy keeps 50% of the revenue with it and pays 50% to the instructor.
- Instructor coupon code sales- If a student purchases the course via Instructor coupon code which he might have got through your promotions. 97% of the revenue is paid to the instructor.
- Affiliate sales (<7-day window)- Purchasing a course within the 7 days using or not using the instructor coupon code. The affiliate gets 50% of the revenue, both the instructor and Udemy gets 25% and 25% respectively.
- Affiliate sales (> 7-day window)- Purchasing a course outside the 7-day window using an instructor coupon code. The instructor gets 97% of the revenue.
- Affiliate sales (> 7-day window)- Purchasing a course outside the 7-day window using an instructor coupon code. The affiliate gets 50% of the revenue, the instructor gets 25% and Udemy keeps the remaining 25%.
- Ad program sales with instructor coupon- When a student purchases a course through a paid advertisement using an instructor coupon. The instructor gets 97% of the total revenue.
- Ad program sales without instructor coupon- When a student purchases a course through a paid advertisement without using an instructor coupon. Udemy keeps 75% of the revenue with itself and pays the rest 25% to the instructor.
- External partner program- There are various external partners like Groupon if a student purchases the course via Groupon. Udemy pays 50% of the revenue to the partner, 25% to the instructor and keeps the rest 25% with itself.
Mode of payment
You don’t directly get paid by the student. The student pays to Udemy and then after deducting some percent as its revenue, it pays you either through PayPal or Payoneer. It’s your choice through which way you want to get paid. Udemy pays you monthly not after every course is sold. Having an account on PayPal is good if you are stepping into various options of online money making because it’s the best international payment site. it is used in 20+ countries.
Why choose Udemy?
It’s a zero-investment business plan. The best thing about Udemy is that you don’t have to create a website, purchase a domain name and hosting, and do SEO, SMM in order to attract traffic. Udemy already has millions of users. You simply have to upload the video of your course on Udemy and start earning. No need to worry about marketing strategies and all sort of headaches. You only have to maintain an attractive landing page and a good profile.
Lights, camera, action and it’s done. I know it’s not as easy as I’m making it sound. But it’s not that difficult. I think its time for you to share your knowledge. Help students out there who are waiting for instructors like you. It’s never too late to start.
If you found this article appealing as per your questions. Don’t forget to shower your love in comments. I’ll be more than happy to hear from you guys. If you find something inappropriate you can let me know that too. You might find it funny but trust me I am a fan of negative feedback because it motivates me to improve.