Types of SEO: Technical SEO, On-page SEO, Off-page SEO
There are mainly three types of SEO in digital marketing On-page SEO, Off-page SEO, and Technical SEO (though the list does not end here). On the other hand, Black Hat SEO, White Hat SEO, and Grey Hat SEO are the techniques of SEO.
Reading time: 11 min
Not one or two, but almost 90% of people are confused between the types of SEO and techniques of SEO in digital marketing. Most people assume white hat SEO, black hat SEO, and Grey Hat SEO as SEO types. But in reality, that’s not at all true.
Before jumping on the types of SEO, I would like to make you guys clear with what SEO is.
Search Engine Optimization is the process of optimizing the web pages and the website to rank higher on the search engine result page (SERP). The main aim of SEO is to bring more and more organic traffic by considering Google search engine guidelines.
SEO is a complex process. It consists of hundreds of rules, and it is essential to follow all the rules simultaneously. To make this process simple, SEO is divided into several types.
Here is the list of the different types of SEO:
1. On-page SEO
On-page SEO deals with the SEO activities that take place on the website. It only has to do with the content of your website and how it appears for the user. Your content should be your priority. That’s why SEO experts suggest On-page SEO as the first step in the world of SEO.
On-page SEO strategies include:
- Meta tags – Meta tags consist of meta title tags and meta description tags. These tags are not visible to the user, but they hold extreme importance. A meta description is a description that appears under the URL of a web page when you search for a particular keyword.
- User-friendly URLs – The URLs should be easy to understand and user-friendly. The main keyword must be there in the URL.
- Keyword Research – Before jumping on to the content, it is better if you do proper keyword research.
- Inbound links – Internal links or Inbound links are the links pointing to the other web pages on your website. It’s the right way to increase website traffic to your site.
- Outbound links – External links or outbound links are the links pointing to the web pages of some other website apart from the one they are given on. The quality of external links plays a significant factor in the ranking of your website.
- Heading tags – You should use the different heading tags in your post. It increases the readability o the content. For example, you should use the <H1> tag in the title of your post and the <H2> tag for the heading.
- Structured Data – Google crawlers understand structured data or schema data much better than the actual content of the web page. You should create schema data for every post. You can take the help of the Structured Data Testing Tool for testing the schema data. It is one of the best free SEO tools.
- Image optimization – Optimized images offer faster loading of web pages. You can use image alt tags so that if your image fails to load, the user gets an idea of the picture.
- Social media buttons – People are more active on the social media platform than on any other internet platform. So you should use the social media buttons on your post.
- Readability check – If a 13-year-old can read your content, it means that the readability of your content is good enough, and everyone can read it.
2. Off-page SEO
Off-page SEO deals with the activities outside your website. It is all about creating links and promoting your post and website. You can’t move on to off-page SEO unless you have completed the activities of on-page SEO. You can’t depend on off-page SEO without correct on-page SEO.
Off-page SEO strategies include:
- Referring domains – The domains from which a backlink to your website is coming are known as referring domains.
- Link building – Link building is an essential process of off-page SEO. Try bringing authority links to your website, because creating backlinks or links from trusted sources ensure organic traffic.
- Dofollow and Nofollow – Dofollow links are those who give SEO credit, whereas Nofollow links do not offer SEO credit to the website but indirectly give traffic. Most sites mark backlinks as Nofollow.
- Guest posting – Guest Posting or Guest Blogging is posting on other websites. You can give the links to your website in the guest post. It ensures organic traffic.
- Relevancy – The links should be relevant to the content. If your article is not giving complete information, you can add links to other web pages regarding the same.
- Brand mentions – Brand mentions means mentioning the name of famous brands in your post. It increases the trustworthiness of your website among the users as well as Googlebot.
- Commenting – Commenting is an old-fashioned way of bringing traffic but plays a vital role in seeking the right audience.
- Reviews – The first thing which a user notices is reviews. Based on reviews, they go for a particular product or service. Don’t go for paid reviews to let the honest reviews come. This way you come to know about your faults too.
3. Technical SEO
Technical SEO, as the name suggests, deals with the technical activities of the web page or website. Technical SEO mainly focuses on the fact that search engine crawlers can crawl your site easily.
Technical SEO strategies include:
- HTTPS (SSL secured) – You should use HTTPS or SSL for providing security to the website. It maintains privacy between the client and the server.
- AMP – Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) delivers the content at high speed on mobile devices.
- Preferred domain – Every domain has four versions. That is HTTP with www, HTTP without www, HTTPS with www, and HTTPS without www. Set a preferred domain version to prevent the website from duplicity.
- Page speed – Page load time plays a vital role in the ranking factor. Optimize your images, use caching plugins for fast loading web pages.
- XML Sitemap – The XML sitemap consists of all the web pages of your website. You need to update it every time you add a new post or page to your site.
- Robots.txt – The robots.txt file consists of those URLs which you don’t want the search engine to crawl.
- Website structure – The structure of the website should be easy to understand by the user because it’s the first impression of the user. All the menus, headings, colors, images, everything should be set accordingly.
- 301 redirection – If you have changed the URL of some web page or deleted the web page. It is your foremost duty to give the 301 redirections. It refers to moving the web page permanently.
- Fixing broken links – Broken links or dead links create a wrong impression on the user as well as Googlebot. Keep checking for the broken links and provide a working link in its place.
- Mobile-friendly website – Because 60% of search traffic comes from mobile devices. It is your priority to make your website mobile-friendly. The font, menus, tabs, headings, images should be set according to mobile devices.
4. Local SEO
Local SEO is just for local businesses. When you search for shops near me and a list of top three or top five shops arrive. How do you think they appear at the top? The simple answer is Local SEO. If you have a business website, your goal should be to get customers for your local store.
If the name of your store appears at the exact time when people are looking for stores near them, consider your work done completely.
Local SEO strategies are somewhat different from the regular SEO that we do. Those who are new to Local SEO consider Google My Business listings as everything. But Local SEO is not limited to this.
Local SEO is not just a type of SEO. It is an entirely different process.
Local SEO strategies include:
- NAP consistency – You should mention the Name, Address, and Phone number of your business on the website for people and search engines to reach you easily. You should not specify the NAP information in the form of images, because sometimes, Google does not track the text written on the picture.
- Keyword research – Here, keyword research does not refer to choosing a keyword and then starting a business. Instead, it refers to adding the most searched keywords related to your business in your content.
- Business listing – Mentioning the information of your business like name address, phone number, niche, products, or services, is a business listing. Since the past decade, the business listing is doing extremely good because Google is taking much interest in a local business.
- Mobile-friendly website – While you are traveling and stop at a point searching for the best restaurant nearby. You don’t hunt with your PC or laptop. You take your mobile phone out and search for the same. That’s the reason why your website has to be mobile-friendly. Try to focus more on the mobile-friendliness of your website.
- Optimize homepage – The homepage of your website gets the maximum attention. Add the NAP citations, images, and Google map showing your location.
- Optimize the tags – Optimize the heading tags, meta description, meta title, and user-friendly URL. And most important, the content of your website. Try to add images and alt tags to the image.
- Google My Business – GMB is the top SEO tool for bringing organic traffic to your website. Enter the details of your business in Google My Business listing. Optimized GMB websites tend to rank faster.
- Local reviews – How do you differentiate between the top three coffee shops near you? I think we discriminate based on reviews. Local reviews play an essential role in uplifting the value of the business and attracting clients. People look for reviews, get the direction of your store, and look for your contact information.
- Schema data – Google understands the language of schema data or structured data much better. Create schema data of all the web pages of your website using the JSON-LD Generator tool. If your structured data is proper, there are 90% chances of your business coming to the top.
5. Video SEO
Video SEO is the process of ranking up videos on many platforms like YouTube.
What do you prefer, reading a long 2000 words article or watching a 180-second video? Not sure about you, but I prefer watching a video and then a jump to reading an article. Do people watch all the videos? The answer is a simple no.
People only watch the top 5 or top 10 videos related to their search. The top 10 results that appear on YouTube when you perform a particular search are because of video SEO.
Video SEO strategies include:
- Add video transcript – Search engines are not so advanced that they can watch the video. Videos transcripts are the captions alongside the video. Inserting a video transcript means converting the video into text. Google crawlers crawl the video transcript and then rank the video.
- Related thumbnail image – Thumbnail images play an essential role in attracting viewers. The thumbnail image should be eye-catchy, engaging, and relevant to the video. The video thumbnail is more important than your title because titles can be somewhat similar, but the thumbnail is unique for every video.
- Title and description – The title, as well as the description, holds equal value. The title should be catchy and should have the keyword. The story should give a good idea about the content of the video.
- Social shares – You can’t entirely depend on SEO. Promote your video on various social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Whatsapp for gaining more traffic.
- Video schema markup – Video schema markup is precisely like other structured data markups. It includes name, description, thumbnail URL, duration, transcript, content URL, embeds URL, and upload time. Google, Bing, and Yahoo support video schema markup.
- Duration – Don’t create very long videos. Keep the length in mind. People usually opt for videos with a lesser period (10 to 20 minutes).
6. Voice SEO
The laziness of human beings in typing has made Voice SEO a new trend. Voice SEO refers to optimizing the website for searches performed by voice assistants. Navigation searches are the top voice searches.
Voice search contributes 20-25% of the total annual searches. People tend to ignore the importance of voice SEO and realize it later. Voice assistants are used more for giving commands. For example, setting the alarm, a reminder, and calling someone.
Siri, Google Assistant, and Cortana have made it easier for mobile users to ask any question physically (by voice).
Voice SEO is not entirely different from the point of general SEO. The strategies are quite the same.
Voice SEO strategies include:
- Aim for featured snippets – When a user performs a voice search, the voice assistant currently read out the featured snippet. Make your content eligible for featured snippets. Take the help of tools like AnswerThePublic and Keywords Everywhere for finding the most asked questions. Keep the answer short and simple. Don’t add difficult vocabulary. Your response should be clear.+
- Optimize local SEO – Around 35% of voice searches are for businesses nearby. Therefore optimizing your local SEO is of much importance. Your Google My Business page must be up to date. It should have NAP citations, including the time at which your store opens and closes.
- Include long-tail keywords – Voice searches use long keywords and are more extensive as compared to the typed searches done on search engines. Hardly 10% of voice searches contain the exact keywords. Rest all are long questions and FAQs. Include a lot of long-tail keywords in your answers.
- Structured data markup – Voice assistant doesn’t go through every result from the top 10 results. It reads out the first result. Structured data markup can help your web page to come in the top result.
- Readability – The content should be in easy natural language. It should be readable by a kid of class 12th. Voice searches do not contain vast vocabulary. It is how we speak with each other, and we speak with each other in our natural language. Write what you speak. Do not include fancy words in your content.
- The website should load quickly – Ensure that your website should load quickly. It is responsive and works well on mobile devices. In short, it should be mobile-friendly. The images should be optimized, enable website caching, and compress the files.
7. Mobile SEO
Mobile SEO is not an option or just one of the types of SEO. Instead, it is a necessity. Mobile phones are always the top priority when it is about traffic. Mobile SEO refers to optimizing the website as per mobile and tablet usage.
Almost 60-65% of traffic comes from mobile phones, which is a large number. The number is enough to give an idea of why Mobile SEO important.
Mobile SEO strategies include:
- Google Mobile-first Indexing – It means that Google uses the mobile version of the content for indexing as well as ranking the website. Earlier Google only uses the laptop version, but now it is considering the mobile version of the website more. Your website should be adjustable as per the screen on which it opens, and separate URLs should be there for mobile searches.
- Page Load Time– It is the amount of time a website takes to appear entirely on the screen. You can decrease the page load time of your website by optimizing the images, keeping less amount or necessary plugin, installing a cache plugin.
- AMP– Accelerated Mobile ages are used for delivering the data at the fastest speed. It offers a quicker experience for mobile users. It is the most crucial mobile content strategy. AMP uses an AMP HTML code, which is a subset of HTML code to enhance the user experience.
- Website structure– The website should be easy to use on mobile phones. It should have menus, font type, size, color, headings, that as per the mobile devices. You can use the Google Mobile-Friendly Test tool to check the framework of the website. Enter the URL of a particular web page, and the tool tells you if your page is mobile-friendly or not.
- Google Search Console– GSC allows you to check for mobile usability issues and offers suggestions to remove the same. For example, Google Search Console tells you about the number of views from mobile phones and if the font is too small for the users.
- Popups– Do not use a popup for the mobile version of a website. It leads to a bad user experience. Because it becomes difficult to exit out of the popup on mobile devices, don’t let the advertisements, popups, or banners disrupt the user experience. Popups even appear somewhat different than they appear on laptops.
8. Content SEO
Content SEO is not at all a different concept. It refers to optimizing the content of the website for ranking it higher. Content SEO is the most essential type of SEO because content alone is capable of deteriorating the ranking of the website.
Content SEO strategies include:
- Keyword research– Keywords are those words which are used by your audience for search purpose. Before creating the content, do proper keyword research and find out the high volume keywords. The keywords should be used a minimum of five times in the article, depending on its length. Use long tails keywords and LSI keywords.
- Use tags– Use various tags like heading tags, meta title, meta description, and canonical tags in your article.
- Link building– Add internal and external links to your websites. Try contacting trusted sites and get a backlink from them. Link building is the most important strategy of SEO.
- Length of article– The length of the article should be 2000+ words. Articles with only 1500 words fail to compete with other articles.
- Content organization– The headings under the content should be organized logically. For example, what is SEO should come first, the importance of SEO should go second, and types of SEO should come third. There is no point in arranging types of SEO first, and then what is SEO.
- Website architecture– A good site structure helps Google and the user to understand your website. A good website structure ensures that you know about all your posts. It also helps you to not forget about your previous articles, and make sure you are not competing with your own posts.
- Content promotion– Promote your content on Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, and Instagram for attracting the audience.
- Quality is the priority– Don’t go for quantity, delete the old content if you find it not so appealing because quality matters the most.
- Original Content– Your blog post should have fresh content. It should not be copied from any other sources because Google crawler finds out and penalize your website.
9. News SEO
There is fierce competition among the various news websites. Just like other websites News websites also require SEO for better ranking.
Pageviews, bounce rates, impressions, time on site all are essential factors of considerations for news websites.
News SEO strategies include:
- Easy to browse Site– Every news website should have a search bar. The news should be arranged from the latest to most recent. News websites require new content daily. So you should focus on pagination, indexing, and categorization of every post.
- Be available on Google news– Google news is the best way for beginner websites to uplift themselves. But not every site can take its place in Google news. For your website to come in Google news, it should have the unique and latest content, have dates and digits in the URL, and it should also have crawlable HTML Google value keywords, domain authority, social sharing, and category authority.
- Duplicate content– Yeah, news can be the same, but content should not be precisely the same. Duplicate content decreases the quality of the website. Manage cookies and focus on pagination.
- News sitemap– Keep updating your news sitemap after every post instead of creating a new sitemap. It becomes challenging to manage the news sitemap because every day, the website posts 10 to 15 news articles. News sitemap helps Google to crawl better and track every web page of that website. You should only add 1,000 URLs in your sitemap, not more than that.
- Crawl speed– Optimize your website for increasing the crawl speed. It takes a couple of minutes for the news to cook up. It increases the number of posts on your site. And you should concentrate on faster crawling of the posts by Googlebot. Bock unwanted pages using robots.txt file.
- Accelerated Mobile Pages– Not everyone has time to read a newspaper, so they prefer to read it online. Reading news online means using mobile phones. Use accelerated mobile pages for the fastest delivery of content on mobile phones.
If your website is on WordPress, you can use the News SEO plugin.
10. Ecommerce SEO
Ecommerce SEO refers to optimizing the eCommerce website for higher ranking. eCommerce SEO is a complex process than all other types of SEO. It is easy to rank different sites, but it is slightly hard to rank up an eCommerce website.
You have a lot to handle in eCommerce SEO. It does well with the three main types of SEO, on-page, off-page, and technical SEO.
Ecommerce SEO strategies include:
- Keyword research– In eCommerce websites, the keyword research is done page wise. Ecommerce websites offer some products and services for their customers. Therefore, they should look for high volume keywords and add them up to their pages. Look for the words and phrases most used y the customers.
- Optimize the priority– You can use Google Analytics to track down your essential pages (sorted by revenue) and optimize them.
- Ecommerce website architecture– How your pages are organized, whether they are easily accessible or not, is an important key. Your site architecture should be easy enough for the customer to select, decide, and buy.
- On-page SEO– A perfectly optimized website ranks higher. It includes the meta title, description, keywords, LSI keywords, make use of short URLs. Involve in internal and external linking. Link the high priority pages of your website with each other. Authority links coming to your website increases the value of the website.
- Technical SEO– Technical SEO is vital for almost every website. But it is doubly essential for eCommerce websites. Ecommerce websites consist of lots of pages, and their management without disturbing each other can only be achieved by technical SEO.
- Include schema markup– E-commerce website with schema markup tends to rank faster than the usual sites. You can get your website in the rich snippets by including schema markup.
- Images and videos– Add the pictures of the product and the videos on how to use them. Customer reviewed videos can also add up to the website.
- Reviews– Customer reviews offer more clients. People check for customer reviews and then decide to purchase a product. Promote your product on social media.
- Title and Description– Give the title and description of every product and service. Add the modifiers like best, discount, free shipping, and guarantee in the title. The story should consist of smaller to more important details like discounts, deals, payments, and methods. The description tag should also include phrases like buying & get free, free shipping, and great selection.
Is Black Hat SEO or White Hat SEO a type of SEO?
Most people have this misconception that black hat SEO and white hat SEO are the types of SEO. But no, the answer is that Black hat and White hat are the techniques of SEO.
Moreover, I don’t understand one thing why every other person is interested in making the wrong as right. Today when you search for types of SEO. Everyone, I repeat everyone presents you the list of SEO techniques, not the actual SEO types.
Black hat SEO refers to the SEO activities performed by violating the Google Search engine guidelines. It gives you results soon, but keep this thing in mind that the results achieved by violating Google Search engine guidelines s are short-lived.
On the other hand, white hat SEO refers to the SEO activities performed by considering the Google Search engine guidelines. It takes time to get the desired results from the White hat SEO, but the result is reliable. All the types mentioned above follow white hat SEO.
SEO is the most robust digital marketing technique. It requires lots of hard work and patience. Getting desired results in a month or two is not possible. Your website needs a minimum of six months to get the results.
I hope the article is informative. Do let me know about your favorite types of SEO or the one in which you are facing problems. The comment section is all yours.
Originally published Jan 26, 2021