What is Vlog, Vlogging, and Vlogger? [Ultimate Guide 2020]
A Vlog is a particular type of Social media platform account (YouTube channel, Tiktok, Instagram, Facebook) in which a person conveys information, knowledge, and opinions in the form of a short video.
Reading time: 11 min 24 sec
What is a Vlog?
A Vlog is the shortened form of a video blog, and a vlog post is video content about a person, thing, or event. In today’s times of the internet, it is widely used for entertainment as well.
How Does Vlog Work?
Now that you know what is a vlog and you can understand vlog meaning. You must be wondering how it works, and why is it helpful?
The purpose of the vlog is to either inform the audience about something logical and relevant. Those who don’t use a blog (Yes I said blog, not a vlog) but post frequent updates via videos are known as vloggers.
Vlogs are a mixture of blogs and streaming. It is often known as a videocast or vodcast. Vlogs are of various types, from motivation to comedy; they serve multiple purposes. You can create vlogs anytime, anywhere.
Here is the list of topics that vlogs can cover:
- Daily videos
- Fashion and outfit ideas
- Technology and techniques
- Beauty related vlogs
- News and current affairs
- Money making ideas
- Best places
- Books and stationary
- Reviews of products and services
- Sports and adventure
- Movies and dramas
Vlogs can cover various other things as well. The purpose of a vlog or video blog is to either entertain the user or provide relevant and logical information to them.
Purpose of the Vlog
The use of a vlog is to give visual insight about the emotions, opinions, and information to the people. You can also say that a vlog is a method to share information, ideas, and knowledge through video content.
It is beneficial for people because it helps them get informed, form opinions, make decisions, and get entertained. Such as video content that gives reviews helps people make decisions, motivational video content motivates people, and comedy video blogs entertain people. Just like these, every video blog has its purpose.
Thus, you can’t say the purpose of vlogging is limited to one or two only. It has a large number of purposes, and the use of every type of vlog depends upon the nature of that video blog.
And let me tell you also to create a vlog is a creative way to share experiences, opinions, and knowledge. Some people give book reviews which allow others to decide what book they should read. Is the paper they are going to read is exciting or not. Book lovers share their experiences with the book.
Such is the case with any travel destination, clothes, makeup, or products. The video creator share experience and knowledge. And this helps people form good or bad opinions about the product or service. Apart from review vlogs, comedy and entertaining vlogs are becoming very popular. Many people are spending their time watching funny videos on platforms like Youtube.
Importance of a Vlog
In today’s times of the internet, communicating with the audience with the help of videos and video clips has become very common. Most people hesitate to face the camera and come in front of the people because of which they neglect to vlog.
But vlogging has become very important for any business. Simple videos made with your phone or laptop can have a massive impact in front of the audience.
Listed below are the various importance of blogging:
- Help make decisions: First and foremost, the purpose of video blogs is to help people form opinions and make decisions. Vlogs that give reviews are for this purpose.
- Share information: Video creators also share information about many things on the blog. You can even start vlogging to share information in a simple way among the audience.
- Entertains people: Vloggers of every part of the world are creating videos that are hilarious for entertainment purposes. Comedy vlogs, dramas, short films are for entertaining people. People sp0end much time watching these videos and appreciate the effort of the creator.
- Connects people: Just like a blog, vlogs connect people of different regions of the world for some cause. It lets people voice their opinion and discuss their issues. This way of creating video content is connecting people for sure. It has become very active in the past few years.
- Motivates and inspires: Most video contents on the internet are motivating and inspiring. These are the success stories of successful people and live videos of motivational speakers.
- Solves queries: No matter whether you want to solve a doubt of your school assignment or any other issues. Suppose you want to know whether your crush loves you back or not. Then you can find videos on the internet titled “10 signs a guy likes you’’ and many more. Your doubts can surely be solved through video content, as well.
Types of Vlog
Just like creating blogs, there are many types of video blogs, as well. Video blogs are becoming very popular in today’s times on the internet. Vloggers are of various kinds as well, and the type of vlogger is determined by the niche they choose for vlogging.
You need to make sure to choose a niche out of passion so that you can continue for long. Plus, you need to understand what type of video content is most appreciated by the people.
Related: Top 10 Blog Niche That Makes Money and Traffic
Listed below are the various niche of blogging that you can choose from:
- Food Vlogging: In this type of vlogging food-related videos are added in a social media account and on platforms like Youtube. Food vlogging has become very popular in today’s times. Recipe videos are in trend and are very helpful. Food Vloggers are appreciated and are invited to attend various events. If you have a keen interest in food want to try different food items or let people know about your secret recipes, then this is the perfect type of vlogging for you.
- Fashion Vlogging: Another most common and important type of vlogging is fashion vlogging. Reviews about a particular brand, beauty products, and fashion ideas are given on those vlogs. You might have watched videos like “best hairstyles for teenage girls,” “top 10 amazing products for clear skin,” and many videos like that. These videos are all related to fashion and style. It consists of a variety of different videos. It is becoming trendy and has an enormous scope because people are becoming more modern and fashionable.
- Comedy Vlogging: Comedy vloggers are becoming very popular. These content creators poke their nose on social work and try to make it humorous. They intend to make people laugh, and they work harder to do the same. Comedy videos help people feel stress-free. These content creators are doing great work and are in demand.
- Tech Vlogging: These video creators, instead of sharing their life experiences and personal life with the viewers, make videos on technology. They often create product review videos. And most often, they tell people how to utilize technology or make use of a particular technological product. These vloggers tell the people about the product’s features and what they like and dislike.
- Lifestyle Vlogging: Vloggers that can’t be categorized into a particular niche are known as lifestyle vloggers. These vloggers discuss issues and events from their personal life. They often share interviews with other Vloggers. The successful lifestyle vloggers have an outstanding personality. This type of vlogging also has a broad scope, and you should try it as well.
- DIY Vlogging: This type of vlogging is known for its frugality and creativity. A DIY video generally teaches the audience how to make their phone covers, or style their bedroom. These videos also show people how to create new items from old clothes and substances like ripped jeans.
- Travel Vlogging: It is another common type of vlogging. In this type of vlogging video, creators explore different places and share their experiences. They also inform people about their next travel destination. Vlogging helps people decide case they want to explore some places. These vloggers also talk about traveling essentials and things to take with yourself for going.
- Health & fitness Vlogging: These video creators create videos that explain workout routines and diet patterns. This type of vlogging is also becoming common as people are becoming health conscious. People love to take care of their health.
What is Vlogging?
The process of sharing or posting short videos and maintaining a vlog is known as vlogging.
It is an excellent way to connect with millions of people worldwide. It is the short term for video blogging and is a process of sharing vlogs daily.
Vlogging has become very popular since 2004. It is also estimated that around 45% of people worldwide watch at least one vlog every month for sure. Its trend is increasing day by day as people are becoming more digital-savvy.
Vlogging is also responsible for the success of various vloggers like Lilly Singh. There is also good competition in vlogging as more and more people are trying to succeed in this field.
If you want to start vlogging, then you must be ready to work harder, then only you can succeed in vlogging. Smartphone has also changed the concept of vlogging.
In today’s times of smartphones, creating vlogs is very easy. You can easily document your daily life without any unique equipment but with the help of your smartphone only. Because of smartphones, more and more people are consuming video content, thus making a scope. People are stuck to their smartphones and are consuming content.
Basics of Vlogging
Now that you know what is vlogging? Let me explain to you about its basics. It means what the things you need to consider before starting your first vlog are.
The principle to drive the audience in vlogging is the same as that of blogging. That is, you have to create engaging content. Few people hesitate to speak in front of the camera, but in vlogging, you have to do that, and you can’t shy away from the camera. You need to be confident and tackle your nerves.
Another essential thing to be considered for vlogging is that you need to be inspired for vlogging. You have to find a source of inspiration to start your vlogging.
You can’t create any video. However, you can impressively document your journey. Choosing the right place for capturing vlogs can be an essential concern. And most of all, you have to learn editing techniques. Editing is necessary for every vlog.
And if you are deciding to start a vlog, then you must need to know the basics at least. And last but not least, promotion is essential, and you need to know how can you promote your videos or video clips.
Benefits of Vlogging
As soon as the trend of the internet is increasing, so does the direction of consuming video content. Creating videos and video clips has become very common, and people love to share their knowledge and experiences through video content.
Here is the list of benefits that vlogging can provide you in your personal and professional life:
- First and foremost, vlogging allows people to share their knowledge and experiences through videos.
- It also connects people all around the globe (World).
- Website owners create video content to drive traffic to their websites.
- Vlogging provides people a platform to follow their passion. Those who are interested in fashion create fashion related videos.
- Comedy and skit vlogs entertain people. Entertainment serves as a stress buster for most people.
Who is a Vlogger?
A person who uploads or creates video blogs is known as a vlogger. You can also say a vlogger is a person who documents or films his life rather than writing it.
Most vloggers make daily videos of their life. A vlogger is a video blogger who is needed to keep making exciting vlogs to engage the audience and make them watch their videos.
Vloggers are just like bloggers who express their opinions and experiences through videos. A vlogger is a video logging his life instead of writing about it.
Types of Vlogger
There are different types of Vloggers, depending on a different basis:
- Daily Vloggers: These are the vloggers who vlog every day about their everyday life. They allow their audience to see and understand what they are up to every single day. What they do from the start of their day and till the end.
- Weekly Vloggers: These are the vloggers that choose the best events from their life that happened in a week. Weekly vloggers try to show whatever happened in their week in a short period. These bloggers try to make their vlog interesting because they have nothing exciting to show in their daily life.
- Activity Vloggers: These are vloggers that document some exciting activities that happen in their daily life. These vloggers make videos when something interesting happens in their everyday life as whenever they go for a trip or meet a celebrity. And also, when they receive an award or accept a challenge. Activity vlogs are exciting, and activity vloggers try to seek inspiration to create awesome videos. They need to keep making videos to make the audience watch their videos.
Do Vloggers Get Paid?
Yes, Vloggers get paid. If you are wondering about starting your YouTube channel and want to know how much do vloggers and YouTubers get paid.
But most people struggle to make money from Youtube and other vlogging platforms. And it’s not very difficult to make money through vlogging. With the help of Google AdSense and CPM ads, you can make money from vlogging as well.
How Do Vloggers Earn?
Just like Bloggers, Vloggers do make money with the help of the following tactics:
Most vloggers who have a large number of audience are useful to the brands if they mention some products in their videos. People start buying that product. It is in the case of fashion vloggers. If they say some fashion products like lipstick, then people decide to purchase that product.
Vloggers can also make money from Youtube by doing a partnership with Youtube. It lets you monetize your videos, and youtube to add adverts near your video content.
Vloggers make money through affiliate marketing, as well. They place the link of the product in the description and suggest their viewers buy the product from that link. Every time someone buys from that link, vloggers earn money.
Apart from these, some vloggers earn money by arranging deals with retailers and advertisers. Advertisers also send them free products alone, from cash to vloggers for advertising.
CPC Ads and CPM ads are also a standard method adopted by vloggers and YouTubers to make money. These methods have helped many vloggers earn cash.
Last but not least, Google AdSense is another popular method to make money. You can use any of the purposes mentioned above to make money. Depending on the views gets, you can get paid for your video content.
To make money from vlogging is almost similar to blogging as both needs a large number of audience. If you create engaging content more and more, people watch your videos, and you get a larger audience and fan base.
Want to Start Your Vlog?
Have you decided to start your vlog? Do create videos and editing them excites you? Let me tell you that vlogging is an excellent method to make money online. But if you have decided to start your vlog, you need to be a professional at editing, and you need to learn YouTube SEO as well. And it is equally important.
There are various other things that you need to consider if you have decided to start vlogging. To start a vlog is easy, but to keep creating excellent content to engage the audience can be a bit difficult.
If you want to start your vlog, you need to make sure you are hardworking and survive in the competition. Plus, you have to get inspired daily; you have to find out what is your source of inspiration. And lastly, you need a suitable spot to film your videos.
Conclusion: Vlogging is an excellent job, and it’s even better when you start vlogging out of passion. Because you can’t just start making money from vlogging and to succeed in vlogging, you have to keep creating engaging content for long to drive the audience. The process is maybe a bit slow and takes time.
Most importantly, you may need to buy some of the best cameras and other equipment to make your video content enjoyable. You have to choose a niche that suits you and is accessible at the same time. Do you want to start your vlog? What niche have you selected for your vlog? Do let me know in the comment section.