What is Blog, Blogging, and Blogger? [Ultimate Guide 2020]
A Blog is a particular type of website in which a piece of information shared regularly. Sometimes people also share their knowledge, experience, and opinions on the blog.
Reading time: 13 min 57 sec
What is a Blog?
Earlier, people used to write a diary and keep it safe. But in today’s times of the internet, if you write a journal on the internet, then it is known as a blog.
The term blog can be explained in other ways, as well. It is the short form of a web blog. And let me tell you blogs don’t sell products or services. They only provide information to the audience.
How Does Blog Work?
Now that you know what is a blog and you can understand blog meaning. You must be wondering how it works and why is it helpful.
Since blogs are becoming very common, you need to know how they work. Let me tell you blogs consist of frequent and timely, updated various blog posts. All of these posts appear in reverse order and generally created by 1 or 2 bloggers. While few blogs focus on a popular niche, others cover a broad niche.
Here is the list of topics that blogs can cover:
- Technology and Education
- Money making ideas
- Health and fitness
- Pregnancy and parenting
- Fashion and beauty
- Gossip of celebrities
- Travel experience and budget
- Foods and their recipes
- Politics and news
- Adventure and sports
- Fun and entertainment
- Book review and suggestions
- Pros and cons of products and services
Blogs can cover various other topics as well. The purpose of the blog is to provide correct and accurate information to the audience.
Many people create who create blogs and earn money from that as well. You can even start a blog because the importance of blog is many. Plus, it is very beneficial, and there are various online sites and blogging platforms that allow people to start a blog.
Purpose of the Blog
As mentioned above, the use of a blog is to provide accurate information to the audience.
Blogging is a vast field, and blogs are of various types. Few blogs are technical, while others are non-technical. Professional blogs consist of topics related to technology and technological equipment, whereas non-technical blogs cover simple issues.
For example, a travel blog belongs to the non-technical niche.
The purpose of all blogs is the same, which is to provide accurate information while a few blogs also deal with opinions and experiences.
For example, blogs that give a book review also actually explains the writer’s experience of reading a particular book. They suggest that readers can choose the best books according to their expertise. This kind of blog also deals with the writer’s experience and opinions about that book.
The purpose of the blog is to share information, experiences, and opinions in front of the audience.
Importance of a Blog
As soon as the trend of the blog is increasing, its influence is also growing. Blogs connect a large number of people with a similar mindset.
Blogs are meant to provide product information for a company. Similarly, few blogs help students solve their queries. The list of importance of a blog is very long.
Here are lists of the importance of the blog:
- Information: First and foremost, the purpose of blogs is to share relevant or correct information to people.
- Connects people: Another importance of blogging is that it connects people from all over the world for the same cause.
- Entertains: There are also few blogs on the internet that, apart from sharing a piece of information, treat people. Blogs related to celebrity gossips are such blogs.
- Inspires: There are few blogs on the internet that are very motivating and inspiring. They would make you come out of your comfort zone and hustle.
- Solves queries: No matter whether it is a question related to your assignment or any other query of yours. You can find answers and explanations to every question from blogs like Quora and Reddit.
- Solves problems: If you are suffering from any issue, be it psychological problems or other problems. You get a solution to all these. Suppose you fought with your girlfriend, and she is furious at you. You must be wondering how to win her back. Then you can also find blogs on the internet related to this problem of yours.
- Clears doubts and confusion: If you have any doubts or are confused about anything. Then you can read blogs related to the topic that is confusing you. And whoa! Your confusion is clear.
Types of Blog
There are various types of the blog that belong to a different niche, and choosing one among those can be difficult.
Here is the list of the few popular types of blog:
- Health & Fitness Blogs: Health and Fitness have become the most common trend in today’s scenario. People are loving practicing yoga and eating a healthy diet. These blogs tell people how they can maintain a healthy life. Also, these blogs are meant to teach people how to remain fit and healthy. Health & fitness blog is ubiquitous and is in demand. People have understood the importance of being healthy and fit. Therefore, they take help from fitness blogs.
- Parenting Blogs: Another prevalent type of blogs is a parenting blog. They explain various tips and tricks to feed the baby and take care of the baby. Passionate parents who want to take care of their kids in a very healthy and productive way, visit these blogs to learn skills. Mothers also love to share their parenting experiences. And these blogs are beneficial for new parents who don’t have a lot of information and expertise regarding babysitting.
- Beauty & Fashion Blogs: First and foremost, the beauty & fashion blog consists of blog posts with stuff related to fashion and beauty. They contain information about designer clothes, makeup, and maybe boots. Fashion blogs are trendy, and people usually visit these blogs.
- Lifestyle Blogs: These blogs are a rare type of blogs in which people motivate others to live a life full of discipline. They may share their experiences. Lifestyle blogs also deal with art, culture, and politics. They consist of much information. Plus, many readers read lifestyle blogs.
- Travel Blogs: These are becoming very popular in today’s scenario. People love traveling and visiting travel sites to gather information about places. Travel experiences also shared on a travel blog, which is frequently read by tourists and people.
- Food Blogs: Another important blogging niche can be food-related blogs. Foods are loved and admired by most of us. Plus, most of us try to learn different recipes and experience the taste of different dishes. These sites are beneficial for food lovers and even all of us.
- Business Blogs: The business blog is widespread, and the importance of a blog conveying business-related information is many. They express various business ideas that are helpful for business owners in the growth and expansion of their business.
- Political Blogs: Political blogs are in trend these days. They discuss various political agendas and great politicians. People from all over the world visit the political blog frequently.
- Sports Blogs: Sports blogs are undoubtedly an essential type of blog. People who love sports visit these blogs frequently. Few sports blogs convey information and experiences, whereas others may express-news. Sports and adventure are the base of these blogs. They may express information about extreme sports. People love to know about different games and try them. These blogs help people understand about a variety of sports from all over the world. The sports blog is also high in demand and is a prevalent type of blog.
- DIY Blogs: Another new type of blogs are DIY blogs, and they have a large number of audience. Its ideas are essential and drive people to the blog. DIY videos can also be created to make your audience understand the tricks better. These bloggers are admired and invited to attend special events. DIY blogs can either deal with metalwork, construction work, or art and craft.
What is Blogging?
Now that you know what is a blog and what is the purpose of the blog. Might you be curious to see the definition of blogging and also want to know the benefits of blogging?
The process of creating or writing blogs is known as Blogging.
Earlier, those who knew how to create a website only could develop blogs. But since the times have changed, and there are various blogging tools, and blogging platforms have designed, which allow everyone to create blogs. These tools are user-friendly and cost-effective.
There are also few free platforms like WordPress.com and Blogger.com that are available, which allow people to create blogs for free. You can even start your blog for free on these websites. And after some time, you may get paid if you are capable of driving traffic to your blog.
Blogging is not as difficult as it sounds, and with the help of these tools, anyone can create blogs without having to invest money. Isn’t it interesting?
Basics of Blogging
If you are someone who has decided to do blogging and are aware of the various benefits of blogging. But your mind is occupied with multiple queries such as which blogging niche you should choose? How will you be able to make money through blogging? Will you be able to drive a broad number audience to your blog? Then let me tell you about the basics of blogging.
Secondly, you need to learn how to write the best content for your blog. You may also need to learn about optimization and other things. Then you need to publish your blog.
After that, you have to learn how to draw the audience’s attention towards your blog.
Lastly, you would have to learn how to make money from blogging. All of these steps are basic yet important. These steps have further explained in this article.
Related: WordPress vs. Blogger: Which Platform is Best? (Pros & Cons)
Benefits of Blogging
Since the trend of using the internet is increasing, so does the direction of blogging. Blogging has become very common and widespread in recent years. And sharing experiences and making money has become a trend.
Here is the list of benefits that blogging can provide you in your personal and professional life:
- Firstly, blogging allows people to share their knowledge in front of a large group of people.
- Blogging also lets people share their experiences, and other people can learn from their experiences.
- It allows them to connect to a large number of people.
- Business people use blogs to connect with their customers. Blogging is quite useful in the marketing industry.
- It helps writers express themselves. It is a great place for introverts who express themselves through writing.
- Blogging allows people to solve their problems.
- Some people want to follow their passion, and blogging is a passion of many. It also helps people contribute to a social or political cause.
- Sharing information and knowledge on blogs is the prime thing about blogging that is beneficial for they help others be informed.
- Few of the blogs entertain people, and such is the blogs related to the gossip of celebrities.
- Last but not least, blogs are highly updated and always provide quick information to people.
Types of Blogging
Like there are many types of blogs, so do the blogging types. Let me tell you that blogging is essential and can be of various kinds. From fashion blogging to food blogging and lifestyle blogging. All have their unique specialty, and all types of blogging are different. Let us now discuss each blogging in detail.
- Fashion Blogging: The process of creating fashion blogs is known as fashion blogging. It is prevalent because more and more people are becoming modern and love being stylish and fashionable. Fashion bloggers almost invited to attend various specific events, as well.
- Food Blogging: Food blogging deals with various mouth-watering food recipes and sharing experiences about a particular cuisine. Food blogging is also in trend these days and can help you build a large number of audiences.
- Travel Blogging: As mentioned above, travel bloggers write about the best tourist destinations and travel experiences. They may discuss travel budgets, as well. Travel blogs are in trend these days because more and more people prefer to travel for the rejuvenation of their bodies.
- Sports Blogging: Sports blogging deals with sharing information about various types of sports from all across the world. Sports blogs are also high in demand these days because more and more people try different kinds of games.
- Book Blogging: Book blogging has become very common these days, for they provide the perfect platform to discuss books to book lovers. Those who are bibliophile or have a keen interest in books always seek the best books to read recommended by others. Book blogs discuss books; they also discuss the reader’s experience while reading books. Plus, they suggest and recommend various books to other readers. Book blogging is also a broad niche but involves everything related to books. They invited to bookish events where people of similar mindsets gather together and share knowledge.
- Music Blogging: Music blogging has a large number of the audience because most people are interested in blogging. Few people love jazz music and some people like classical music. There are also a wide variety of people who love folk songs — information about various types of popular and unpopular music mentioned in these blogs. People love to know about multiple blogs and listen to different kinds of music. Link to listen to particular music is also sometimes present on music blogs. You can even start music blogging if you have a good taste of music or are interested in different music and songs.
- Finance Blogging: We all need suggestions about how we can manage our money efficiently. Information about it is not readily available, and to achieve financial freedom, people read different books and blogs. Business blogs are beneficial for they provide various tips and tricks on how to save and invest money. Finance blogs also have a large number of readers.
- Personal Blogging: Personal blogs belong to writers who share their experiences, adventures, and knowledge that happens in their daily lives. Personal blogging is a modern method of writing a diary, but the difference is that they have many readers. In these blogs, writers share their stories, tales, and experiences. If you are very good at narrating stories, this is the type of blog for you.
- Movie Blogging: Movie blogs consist of information related to comedy, thriller, and horror movies. Information about upcoming movies and gossip about the actors and actresses are also present in these blogs. Movie blogs are exciting for them to give accurate information to people regarding the latest and old movies.
- News Blogging: News blogging is the most common type of blogging which provides people with information regarding the latest news. These kinds of blogs make people aware of what is happening in their surroundings and country. They discuss celebrities, politics, sports, events, and much much more. News blogging is indeed a prevalent type of blogging and has a large number of audience.
- Pet Blogging: Pet blogs are perfect blogs for pet lovers. They contain detailed information about pet feeding, pet grooming, and pet training. Those who love pets and want to take better care of their pets read blogs. Pet blogging also has a broad scope these days.
- Gaming Blogs: These blogs consist of information regarding different types of games. Game blogs are perfect for kids and game lovers. Gamers who want to know about sports, game cheats, events, etc. find these blogs beneficial and frequently visit these blogs.
Who is a Blogger?
A Blogger is someone who shares his ideas, express himself and his opinions through blogs.
Before the internet, people couldn’t voice their opinion and share their knowledge in front of many people. Those who were lucky could get a chance to write and publish their books. But not average people could share their knowledge.
Blogging has given the simple people a platform to express themselves. And those who make use of these platforms and express themselves by writing their knowledge, ideas, and opinions can be considered as bloggers.
There are various types of bloggers, and their nature determined by the niche they choose. Such as; food bloggers write about food and recipes. They create food blogs, and that’s why they are called food bloggers.
And such is the case with other types of bloggers. If you have decided to become a blogger, then first, you need to determine what kind of blogger you want to be and what blogging niche do you want to choose? What is your interest? Bloggers also get feedback from people all over the world.
Related: How to choose a blog niche?
Types of Blogger
As mentioned above, the kind of bloggers determined by the niche they choose. Similarly, there are as many types of bloggers as much are the types of blogs. Those who create food blogs are known as food bloggers, and those who write about fashion are known as fashion bloggers. Those who discuss pets are known as pet bloggers, and who recommend books and share information about books are known as book bloggers, so on and so forth.
The list of types of bloggers can be very long because there are a large number of blogs with various niches. Choosing a particular niche for yourself can determine what type of bloggers you can be. If you decide to travel blogging, you can be a travel blogger.
Do Bloggers Get Paid?
Of course, bloggers make money. While some start is blogging out of passion but almost all the bloggers get paid. All of us want to make money online, and so do the bloggers.
Enlisted below are the various ways through which bloggers make money. No matter whether your blog is a personal blog or business blog, you can make money if you try hard enough.
How Do Bloggers Earn?
- CPC and CPM Ads: One of the most common ways for bloggers to make money is monetization. Bloggers place ads on their sites. CPC ads and CPM ads are ubiquitous. When one allows bloggers to place banners in their content and pay them every time someone clicks on the advertisement. The other pays them a fixed amount of money, depending on the number of people that view a particular ad.
- Private Ads: Selling private ads also lets bloggers earn much money. Selling of these ads may come either in the form of links, buttons, and banners. Few bloggers choose to sell sponsorship, as well.
- Affiliate Marketing: Affiliate marketing is also possible through blogs. Bloggers to get paid around 1-25% of the real amount of the product each time someone buys a product using their link. Links are given to bloggers by viral sites such as Amazon, ShareASale, and CJ Affiliate Home.
- Digital Products: Digital products like eBooks, apps, music, images, videos, online courses also help bloggers earn money. Selling these items can be beneficial for bloggers, but bloggers should remember to create relevant content for these.
- Sell Membership: Another essential method to earn money through blogging is to sell membership. Memberships can be sold out to various exclusive corners of the websites. And for that, bloggers create more valuable content for their exclusive membership offer.
There are various other ways to earn money through blogging, but the method mentioned above is the main and can surely prove to be advantageous for you.
Related: How to Make Money from Blogging or Blog?
Want to Start Your Blog?
Now that you know what is blogging and how beneficial it does, let me know if you want to start blogging. Remember, to choose a niche that excites you and is in demand to start blogging because it helps you create the best content for your blog.
Follow this guide: How to Start a Blog on WordPress? [Ultimate Guide 2019]
Follow this guide: How to Create a Free Blog on Blogger? [Ultimate Guide 2019]
Follow this guide: How to Create a Free Blog on WordPress.com? [Ultimate Guide 2019]
Conclusion: Blogging is indeed an excellent method of sharing our voice before millions of people. You should start blogging if you are interested in expressing your knowledge, ideas, and opinions. Because blogging has allowed the average people to express themselves, and we should take advantage of that opportunity.
Well, that’s all. I guess I’ve mentioned the prime things about blogging. If you think I’ve missed anything, then do let me know in the comment section. Plus, do let me know what you have decided whether you want to do blogging or not? And if yes, then what niche you have chosen?